Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Miss America Journey - Post Event

I just returned home from Miss America last night ready to take on the next 6 months…it’s amazing what a really great night of sleep can do for a person! I am so happy to come back home and still have my job as Miss Minnesota.

Taking in the experience as a whole, I literally left feeling so exhausted--mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually. In an effort to always be real and open with who I am and how I feel, I want to take this opportunity to speak from my heart and share my honest feelings. In short, I feel very disappointed. How could I not? I think the hardest part of the whole experience is not that I didn’t win, but that this dream I have spent years working for is now over! That was my very last pageant competition, which is so hard to believe. I felt confident about my ability to be a contender competing on national television, but God clearly had different plans for me. Though I don’t understand fully right now, I have complete faith I will at some point so I just need to be open to every experience and see what I can learn from it. One of the other difficult emotions I am experiencing is this feeling that I let down those who have supported me 100%. Fortunately, I know I did the best I could, and I do not regret anything, but it is admittedly hard to shake some of the sad feelings!

But, I can’t even begin to express what a great all around experience I had at Miss America. I am at home in my apartment and I keep asking myself “Did I really just compete in Miss America?!” It came and went in a blink of an eye, but I have returned from this experience with new friends and much more. I am more than ready to continue working hard as Miss Minnesota, planning new Night of Inspiration Concerts, and continuing to raise money for such a wonderful organization, The Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. My year is far from over, so I hope you don’t mind having me back! I look forward to what the rest of this year and my life holds.

I truly cannot thank you all enough for the many messages, cards, emails, prayers and thoughts! I felt a little bit spoiled for every time I went to my computer I had about 100 new facebook messages! This journey has been incredible and it wouldn’t have been without you. Thank you for allowing me to represent you the best I could; I am sorry the outcome was not what we hoped for! However, on a great note, I was really happy to find out that I received the non-finalist talent award as well as a new award for the highest scoring instrumentalist. Those awards mean so much knowing that my talent was recognized at Miss America. I am also honored that I was a quality of life finalist and, I believe, the third highest fundraiser for CMN. I have left this experience as a winner regardless of not receiving the crown I initially sought. Ultimately, I strive to hold the crown of our heavenly father and do his will…even if it doesn’t always match up with my own.
I will keep you updated with upcoming events! Blessings to you all and again thank you for following me and supporting me!

Love always,
Kathryn

P.S. Pictures will be posted soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment