Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Making Dreams Come True

On Monday morning (July 12th), I drove back to St. Paul and did a “Magical Moments with Miss Minnesota” event for Alexis Cox’s 6th birthday party. I was able to share my gift of music on piano with the girls and then we talked about how and where they can use their God given gifts to inspire others. We decorated crowns and banners, and I gave each of the girls a mini makeover with a little makeup and nail painting. We took fashion photos and then made lovely memorabilia cards with the pictures and a certificate I gave each girl to use their gift to inspire and bless those around them. I sure wish I could have had a birthday party like that when I was younger…or even now -- it was so much fun!

On Wednesday, my sister Kari drove with me to Minnesota Lake for FestAg Days. This is an event that Miss Minnesota has gone to every year! (Kari remembers going to this event when she was Miss MN!) Everyone was so welcoming. I met so many different titleholders and had such a great time in their parade (which almost got stormed out but fortunately it concluded just in time for the outdoor pageant in the evening!).



Thursday morning, I headed to Gillette Children’s Hospital for their Annual Fireman’s Carnival Fundraiser. As you can imagine, with the word “carnival” being in the event title, it was a really fun day. I met so many different families (and adorable children!!) from Gillette, not to mention countless volunteers from fireman and their families to make the event a special day for the children. There was face painting, food (dilly bars from DQ, my favorite), games, and tons of prizes. I truly love and support the partnership the Miss America Organization has formed with the Children’s Miracle Network and I look forward to the rest of my year volunteering at Gillette.

On Friday, I got spoiled…or should I say pampered…every woman’s dream! I started the morning off meeting Lisa from CoCo and Chloe, a fantastic sponsor of the Miss Minnesota Organization. She provided me some great clothing items and jewelry for me to keep! (As I wear it, I will take pictures so you can see what great items they have to offer!)In the meantime, check out their website, www.COCOANDCHLOE.com. On my way home to Detroit Lakes, I went to the Elk River Fair where I met another great sponsor, Dazzle Me Jewels. They were so sweet and gracious and I now have so many pieces of jewelry!! Seriously, I could get used to this!! Don’t be surprised if the next time you see me I look a little bit overdone with my accessories! Check out their website too at www.dazzlemejewels.com. Thank you to both sponsors for helping me look my best! Please patronize them if you can…I promise they won’t disappoint!
On Sunday, I was in the Detroit Lakes Water Carnival Parade. I was very excited about this parade because it is always the longest parade to watch (and be in), and it happens to be in my home town! There were so many people I knew along the route, which made it even more fun to wave at everyone and see them waving back and cheering for me! Again, we were blessed with great weather for a parade!

In between all my fun events, I also continued to work on Miss America paperwork, which was due this Monday (July 19th). As many of you know, I love to perform my original works on piano, so it was really difficult to decide what to play on the Miss America stage…and for only 90 seconds! Quite a task to ensure that all 48 documents were signed, sealed, and delivered on time and in order, but mission was accomplished!

From parades to birthday parties, to meeting inspiring people, and getting beautiful clothes and jewelry, the job of Miss Minnesota is a difficult one, as you can tell. I thank God every day for the people he has placed in my life and for the wonderful opportunity I have to make a big difference in others and myself.

Your friend in Christ,
Kathryn Knuttila
Miss Minnesota 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment