Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Congratulations to the new Miss Coon Rapids, Megan Ehlert, who was crowned on Saturday evening! How exciting it has been to see all these titleholders for 2011!! I do want to mention how impressed I was with the organization of the pageant, which would not be possible without the hardworking VOLUNTEERS that make it possible. Thank you to each and every local director and the volunteers for each pageant. Without you this organization would not be where it is today. I hope you know how much I appreciate you and so do your titleholders and community! Keep up the great work! The last pageant of the season (Sweeps) is coming up soon and then we are on track to Miss Minnesota week… but again, I don’t want to think about that yet!

I have had some fun appearances these past few days! On Monday night, I was in a town called Lake Park where I was invited to perform and speak during their middle school and high school pops concert for jazz band and choir. Even though it was absolutely bitter cold outside, there was a great turnout and the concert was so fun! The kids sang some of my favorite pop songs; I told them it was better than the halftime show during the Superbowl! I also talked about the importance of music in my life, the Miss America Scholarship Program, and a bit about Inspiring America and CMN. I had my CD’s on hand and raised another $170 for CMN!

So in my last blog, I told you that I thought I might be in a commercial during the Superbowl, but later realized that it was FOX news that did a segment on me and CMN. Click here to watch! I can’t tell you how much I appreciated FOX news doing this for me! I do apologize if I misled you or if you were specifically watching the Superbowl to see “my” commercial; I certainly appreciate your support though!

This month is “I Love To Read” month, which has me visiting classrooms to read. Today I read to a third grade class at World Cultures Magnet School in St. Paul. After I was done reading, they asked me questions about being Miss Minnesota. I forgot how much I love this part! I was asked if I get to ride in a limo to my appearances. You know, that’s not a bad idea! I will work on that for the next Miss Minnesota. ;)
I also was asked if there was a King, Mr. Minnesota and if my crown was real. Kids just make me smile! I left them all with a signed autograph and a CD for the class to listen to during their study time. They were such a great group of kids so I really look forward to the next class visits.


If there is ever a month to show extra support for reading, this is the month to do it! We all know how reading is so important especially with the lower literacy rates in our country. If you get a chance, I encourage you to volunteer to read at your local school or library!

Keep reading!
Kathryn

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to the new Miss Coon Rapids- the pageant was wonderfully organized with a great opening number, artful walking patterns and the perfect lighting!
    What a fun group of contestants, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn
    I was given your link from a family member. And to my surprise find my nieces Cailey & Madelyn in a picture with you. Cailey goes to Lake Park-Audobon School.
    I love blogs. And find yours very interesting. Hope you don't mind i I check it from time to time.
    Thanks for sharing the picture.
    Sincerely
    Rori

    ReplyDelete